Monday, November 19, 2012

Product Review: Mountain House Blueberry Cheesecake

For years I've seen this product advertised. It's not cheap in the #10 can, but the idea of having some real dessert in the face of a prolonged emergency seemed comforting. Recently, we bought the 4 serving pack on sale from Emergency Essentials to sample the product. Last night we tried it, following the directions verbatim.
It was fairly easy to make and required only water as an added ingredient. It has 3 components: pudding/cheesecake mix, blueberry topping and graham cracker crumbs. after making the pudding and the sauce separately, you add the crumbs and sauce as topping on your 'cheesecake.'

You need both hot and cold water for the sauce and pudding respectively, which could be a challenge in an emergency or on the move. Room temp water might be OK, but it probably won't make the intended product. 

The blueberry sauce took a lot longer to thicken that I expected. We let it thicken and cool for about 15 minutes before our first serving, but it was still somewhat watery. It was much thicker when I went back to put the leftovers in the fridge. 

Despite the fast jelling, acceptable texture and good dose of protein in the pudding, it was sickly sweet by my taste.  The sauce and the graham cracker topping were also fairly sweet. More graham cracker may have helped moderate the sweet pudding, but there was less than 1 tablespoon of the crumbs per serving in the packet.  I'd prefer a simple sugar-free jello cheesecake flavored pudding (one of my favorites, by the way --especially with fresh berries!). The only difference is that you'd need to supply the container and some dry milk.

As you may have deduced, I'm not a fan. For about half the price of the #10 can, I think I'll add a little brown sugar and some hot water to dehydrated apple slices and call it dessert.

2 comments:

  1. I really, really appreciate your review of MH products. It will save me money. Also, thanks for another alternative using dehydrated fruit. How do you store your brown sugar long term? In small amounts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and following this blog. I'm glad you find useful info here. I'll have another review of a Provident Pantry item soon.

      I store a few #10 cans of Brown Sugar from Emergency Essentials for real emergencies, but mostly rotate 2 lb bags of C&H dark brown from a gamma seal bucket. I prefer the C&H to the Kroger store brand, which does not store as well. My daily-use is a plastic cannister that seals well and will hold a full 2 lb bag.

      If I pull a bag that has hardened, I break chunks into the cannister, add a damp pottery 'brown sugar softener' and close it up for a day, repeating the process if needed. Even very hard bags that require a hammer to break chunks will be back to normal in about 3 rounds of using the softener. If you aren't familiar with the softeners, the URL below is to a blog that describes them. I usually find the softeners made by local potters at local farmer's markets or food coops, but you can also order online.

      http://variousandsundryreviews.blogspot.com/2010/07/brown-sugar-softener.html

      Delete