Saturday, February 24, 2018

10 Random Suggestions for the Ladies

I'm listing some of the things I do to keep my home emergency-ready. We've had two power outages since the new year began. We would have been fine if they had lasted much longer.

1. Ensure that dishes and laundry are done before bedtime. Doesn't mean it has to be your chore, just on your checklist. I will run a partial load in the dishwasher before bed if it contains key items I use often. I'll carry a partial load of laundry until the next day if it doesn't contain an item with low back-up, like my DH's jeans.

2.   Ensure non-electric backup for critical 'appliances,' even if you have generator back-up. Example: I was recently ill and was on liquids and puréed foods only. If my mini-chop had no electricity, I have a non-electric inexpensive chopper/grinder that could backfill to make purees for babies and invalids.

3. Push to ensure backup heat sources. Especially if electricity is required, such as gas heat with an electric blower. In most cases, that heat won't come on if the blower has no power.

4. Learn the skills that your body can manage. Firearms, guard duty, patrolling, gardening, canning and other food preservation, outdoor baking, sewing (both repair and new garment construction), etc.

5. Keep the best of the old. If you have outgrown your underwear, keep the two best bras, undies, camisoles, etc. that you have outgrown. In an extended emergency, they'll fit in a few weeks. 

6. Lose the losers.  Go through your stuff. That shirt you don't really like and rarely wear: unless it is a specialty item for hunting or hiking, sell or give it away. Make space for the important stuff. 

7. Keep fabric on hand. Some of this can be in the form of extra sheets, regular and flannel. Consider the reuse when selecting a pattern: will DH, kids, self look good in this as a skirt, shirt, etc.. Have a basic pattern or two as well, such as loose shirts, draw-string pants or skirts and a jacket. Some come with variable sizes in one pattern. If an emergency goes long, you may need replacements or something different to stay comfortable.  I also keep unbleached muslin, flannel, and canvas on hand. On Amazon, I bought a 50+ yard bolt of 108 inch wide bridal netting for the garden. It holds up well and covers very well to keep insects off the tender crops and fruit. 

8. Learn and practice sanitation and first aid. The men in my life tend to take this for granted, which could sicken everyone. At minimum, how to establish a temporary or permanent latrine, hand sanitation, kitchen sanitation and managing injuries requiring disinfection or stitches - learn the how-to and keep supplies on hand. Someone needs to be the 'urgent care' triage. Pick you.

9. Have functional furniture, then use it. When I can opt for a piece with storage versus not, I go for storage. My coffee table is a chest that is also a file cabinet, for example. When we bought bedside tables, I opted for a model with 3 generous drawers rather than one or none. In the bottom drawer, I keep a rechargeable LED lantern, an old-fashion non-electric phone and a Larry light flashlight. When the power goes out, I can find these easily and no one else messes with them. 

10. Despite any complaints from others about 'junk' or 'taking up too much space', ensure the basics of food, warmth, water, first aid and security for at least two weeks for your family. If you have extended family that you can afford to include, do.  Give some items instead of junk as birthday and Christmas gifts.  Last week, in her birthday loot,  I gave my sister a small Black Diamond lantern I'd gotten at a great discount from Sierra Trading Post. Literally, the next night we had a power outage. She thanked me profusely that she could use both hands and read during the outage. She had only hand-held flashlights!  Even better than 'doing' for them, convince them to do it for themselves or contribute to a combined emergency readiness plan with supplies.  

Please add your tip to the list below!

UPDATE: Bonus recommendation: This is a great time to check your solar path and warning lights. Most are powered by rechargeable AA batteries. Look out and ID the dim and dark ones. Gather them and recharge the batteries in your electric or solar recharger. This will give them new life. Eventually they'll need to be replaced with better quality batteries like the Duracell or Goal Zero rechargeables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment