Here are a few things that are good to do any month. These contribute to being frugal and content. If you haven't done any of them lately, May's a good time to start.
- Decide if there is a credit card you can pay off and stop using without going into debt on other cards. Gist of this one is reduce your debt load.
- Clean out a closet and get rid of stuff you don't have a good use for, like clothes that you've outgrown. Take them to a consignment shop, give them to a neighbor or donate them to a good cause.
- Plant something. If you only have one pot that you can put on your apartment balcony, plant a tomato or a couple of okra seeds. Eat what you grow.
- Reflect on how you spend your money. If it seems vague to you, get a small notebook and record everything you spend for a month. Analyze what you've spent and decide whether you want to spend differently. Do you really need 2 pedicures a month? How often do you buy lunch at work, rather than pack a lunch? You may see some ways to finance paying off that credit card or adding to your preparedness posture by changing your spending patterns.
- Get out and enjoy the weather. Take walks regularly, garden if you have a yard (rather than pay someone to do it for you!), clean out the garage before the summer heat comes on.